Nobel Systems is developing a smart parking application for the City of Huntington Park, Calif. using its flagship GIS- and IoT-based software, GeoViewer.
Watch the above video to see how it works. Read below to learn more about the smart parking app and Helium’s The People’s Network.
Current Parking Challenges
The parking challenges the City of Huntington Park wants to address include:
- Enable people to easily finding available, close-by parking.
- Eliminate manual pay stations, which are cumbersome to maintain.
- City parking enforcement needs an easier way to track parking spaces electronically.
- The city would like to provide a seamless, simple way for its citizens to pay for parking.
Nobel Systems’ Smart Parking Solution
- Create an easy-to-use Smart Parking App for citizens to find parking and easily pay.
- Install Parking Sensors to help users find parking and for cities to view real-time parking statistics.
- Enables parking enforcement to collect and monitor for payments / non-payments.
Smart Parking Architecture
Sensors, called PlacePods, are installed at all 1,490 public parking spots within the city. LoRaWAN gateways receive real-time information from all PlacePod sensors. The data is stored securely in the cloud. Helium Cloud provides the API for cloud communication. Nobel Systems GeoViewer Smart Parking applications provides the user interface (UI) for the sensors and parking spots.
Benefits of Using Helium’s Networking
- Complete cost-effective, cloud-managed database.
- Out of 1,490 sensors for the GeoViewer Parking application, only 18 SIM cards are necessary for the gateways.
- LoRaWAN helps increase the scale of application—up to 700 sensors can be connected to each gateway.
- LoRaWAN reduces the latency for communication between the GeoViewer app and gateways. Similar parking apps require more infrastructure, such as dedicated RF network antennas and wiring, to deploy such large applications.
- Helium Networking also provides an extended wireless networking range beyond other wireless service providers.
- A typical mesh network provides a range of around two miles instead of Helium’s LoRaWAN, which offers a ten-mile range.
Nobel Systems plans to work with Helium on other IoT-network projects.
Watch the Webinar about Nobel Systems’ Smart Parking Solution
CTO Aretha Samuel and IoT Engineer Tanmay Thakur talk about how the GeoViewer Smart Parking App works.
Mark Phillips, VP of Business Development, Helium, talks about Helium’s The People’s Network.
About Nobel Systems
Nobel Systems specializes in IoT devices plus Asset Management Software for utilities and municipalities. Based in the U.S and the Philippines, Nobel has over 25 year’s experience, delivering the latest tech solutions.
The company’s flagship product, GeoViewer for mobile and web applications, combines IoT, Asset Management, and mapping technologies for utilities to manage their data.
Helium’s Technology allows anyone to build out massive, cost-effective wireless infrastructures in an entirely new business model that benefits everyone. The People’s Network is the world’s first peer-to-peer wireless network that provides a secure and cost-effective way for low-power Internet of Things devices to send data to and from the Internet.